5 Smart Ways to Save for the Big Day!
We KNOW how much time is spent planning and saving up for what will be the most memorable event of your life, but that’s not to say there aren’t areas where you can cut costs. Regardless of your budget, it is possible to create the wedding of your dreams if you prioritize the top areas you want to splurge on AND identify the areas where you can spend less.
We’ve put together a list of top five smart ways to save for your big day – and we’re talking thousands here, not hundreds.
1. Venue – This will likely be one of the most expensive pieces of your wedding, but make sure to look at off-season rates and the venues infrastructure. Several summer destinations consider May and October to be off-season, but we beg to differ. Booking your wedding in the shoulder months allows you to enjoy a destination’s beauty without breaking the bank.
A property that does not need tenting & lighting is a win! Even if the venue requires you to tent, if they offer a catering kitchen, restrooms, brick or paved walkways and lighting around the venue as part of their package, that is a DEFINITE savings!
2. Floral – Florists often charge per stem, so upping your greenery and reducing the stem count offers a cost-effective solution to pricey bouquets, centerpieces & décor. We also suggest re-purposing décor flowers. Floral and greenery that adorn your escort table or ceremony chairs can later be used to decorate your dessert table, bars, etc.
3. Décor – Using natural, local elements throughout your wedding provides a FREE solution to expensive tablescapes. From driftwood and rocks to sea shells and sea glass – using local decor or greenery that you can forage from your own property can be a huge help!
4. Stationery – From save the dates and invitations to ceremony programs and menus, stationery can add up to a lot more than anticipated. Lucky for you- beautiful, affordable designs lie at your fingertips. We are BIG fans of Minted.com which offers hundreds of customizable, professional templates for a great cost. (Clients! Ask us how you can save 20% off your order from Minted) Looking to go even less (cost not quality)? Check out Canva.com for templates and designs that can easily be printed on your own cardstock/preferred paper. Another option is using glass, chalkboard or reclaimed wood instead of paper for signage, menus & escort cards.
5. Book a Mini Moon – If an international two week honey-moon has to wait, we love the idea of booking a “mini-moon,” in place or before the “big” honeymoon. Mini Moons allow you to take that post-wedding glow with you on a more cost-effective, smaller scale, without sparing all your vaycay time. Whether it is a day trip, weekend getaway or staycation – Mini-Moons are a great alternative to an expensive out-of-country honeymoon.
While these five tips can help you save $$, it’s important to create a budget and prioritize 3-5 areas that mean the most to you. Is it floral? venue ? videography? With each item, there will be a high, medium and low range in terms of the vendors to choose from. Choosing all “high” vendors in all areas is going to cost much more, so prioritizing what areas are more important than others is a great way to approach the vendor conversation and of course, save more money!